Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Eulogy for Roses

Yesterday I had to unpot two new roses.  I had ordered Louise Hay plants from a place in California ... but my dirt must have been too dense, and we had torrential rains ... I think I drowned them.

I moved them under the patio roof, and left them in the pots hoping that I'd see a tiny bud appear, but weeks have gone by and nothing.

Finally I decided enough was enough, and yanked them out -- to my dismay there were tiny white roots!!  I consoled myself by thinking they were roots from the root stock the Louise Hay rose was grown on.   I hope so.

With all roses I've purchased this season, I've realized that the ones bred and grown here are the hardiest.  I purchased a climber called "Aloha" in honour of my Hawaiian roots from Select Roses here in the Fraser Valley .... and it is much slower growing than my "on-sale-at- Home-Depot" ones, but so much stronger looking!!   I can hardly wait until the summer and flowers!

I also unpotted and planted alot of house plants in a rather shady and empty section of the back yard near the house.  I am happily anticipating a great looking area in a few months.

There is something so satisfying about gardening!!

No comments: